Wednesday, December 17

Vintage Flatware Ornament Tutorial


Ok..so let me start by giving credit where credit is due. I saw this idea on Pinterest or Etsy or somewhere as a gift topper idea. I like that..but also I plan to use the small utensils on my vintage Evergleam aluminum Christmas tree as ornaments. 


Here's how to make them. You will need:
  • Silverplate flatware 
  • Adhesive of your choice, clear drying
  • Clear acrylic spray
  • Glitter
  • Ribbons & fabric scraps


Start with some old silverplate flatware. Spoons work best but you could also use flat serving pieces as well.

Polish it well.  I use polishing compound, but silver polish will work fine too.

I seal mine with a gloss spray sealer to help prevent future tarnishing.  Then spread your favorite adhesive in the bowl.  I use E6000 or Goop adhesive.  



Let it settle to smooth out some and then cover it with glitter and pat it down smooth.  Let dry overnight and then tap off excess glitter.  I have used both a fine glitter and a glass glitter.  Both work well and look great!


After that, just find some fabric and ribbon scraps to match your glitter and tie them to the handle.  I tea dyed mine to make them look vintage. I will be drilling a hole on this one below near the tip of the handle to use for an ornament.



Aren't they gorgeous!!


You could also add things to the tied ribbon to hang down in front of the glittered "bowl" such as crystals, small Christmas picks, or small millinery (hat decorations) such as ribbon flowers or small velvet leaves.  Anything your heart desires.  I think these would look great on a tree with small white lights.

Thank you for reading and hope you enjoyed the tutorial. These are fun and easy to make and are beautiful.


You can find old silverplate at flea markets, estate sales and antique shops for about $1 per piece on average. 


Have fun and please share with me the photos of  your results, I'd love to see them!

As always, thanks for stopping by and I love to hear comments below.


Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment