Wednesday, November 5

NY Fashion Illustrator: Ernest Gross

Sometimes you just get lucky at an estate sale.  Back in the back in a tiny bedroom I found a box of fashion illustrations done on tracing paper, drawing paper, vellum, etc., that were just wonderful! They were definitely from the 40'-60's.  Many of them had attached fabric swatches and some were signed by either Ernest and Elsie Gross.  Elsa was his sister who passed away about a month ago at the age of 97, and these were in her house. 



After a little digging and some help from my online art buddies (Thank you Dani) I finally found a little info on Ernest Gross.  Very interesting stuff, I just wish he'd signed all of them.



In any case, here are some photos for you to enjoy.  Some of them are just amazing and am going to frame them somehow.  Some may go in my ETSY shop as I have quite a few. But, wanted to share with you guys.  Evidently his family treasured his life's work.  I will try to do the same.

The little rhinestone trim on this one is fantastic!

Ernest Gross, (American, New York City, 20th century) 
Fashion designs for Hattie Carnegie, Pauline Trigere, and other fashion houses with designs appearing prominent magazines and newspapers.  Gross was a New York fashion designer from 1939-1979.  Gross was a prominent artist in the fashion world with illustrations preserved at Pratt Fashion Institute and others. 

He was born in 1919 in Pennsylvania and I found him listed on the 1940 Census in Beaver Falls, PA, at the age of 21. His occupation is listed as "costume designer" and he is living with his parents, Adam & Ethel, both born in Hungary, and his two siblings, Elsa age 22 and Eleanor age 13.  Elsa eventually married a man named Kasunick and Elsa Kasunick was the name on a shipping label of the box of drawings I purchased.  Ernest passed away about 5 years ago at the age of 90. 





As always, thanks for stopping by.  If I find out any more interesting information on Ernest I'll post it.  I would love to have a photo of him.

Please leave a comment, I always enjoy reading them!

Jan

My ETSY shop-JypsyStudio

17 comments:

  1. Jan - these are FABULOUS !! What a wonderful find. Let me know when you get them posted on Etsy - I would love to buy a couple to frame and hang in my bedroom/master bath. So cool ...
    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Beth. They are up so just let me know what you're looking for. Fabric swatches and color, or just plain illustrations. I'll send you some photos to choose from.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for publishing this wonderful find. I love that Ernest's work is now inspiring a whole new generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Janet, there's just something about them!

      Delete
  4. An amazing find. Glad that you shared them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow.. what a great post.. thank you for sharing this great art and the story of the artist..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pamela. I hope to find a photo to post as well. Thanks again.

      Delete
  6. This is quite a tribute. I remember those days and those fashion houses, but never knew the person behind the designs. Interesting. At the time I didn't realize there were designers behind those houses that weren't actually mentioned at the time. He was born the same year my mom was, but she didn't live nearly as long. Fantastic genes, him and his sister. I tried to look him up on the Internet, however, I couldn't find a picture of him for you. Thank you for this tribute and Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Janet, for looking. I too could not find anything. Perhaps one day I can through the family. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erinie was my uncle. He was an accomplished designer in NYC but grew up in Pittsburgh, Pa and also Bever Falls, Pa. Oddly enough he designed mostly women's hats a few of which we still have. I also a few framed color sketches of his. Unfortunately he died with very little in his name in a hospital in NYC. He always lived in the same apartment for most of his life. He was never married and never had any children. If you need any more info feel free to ask.

    Your truly
    Jeremy Kasunick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jeremy, thank you so much for the info. I apologize for the late reply, I somehow missed this comment. I would love to see a photo of the hats he designed and color sketches, there weren't many, in the drawings I have. If you'd like I could add them to the blog. I must admit, there are many of his drawings that I'm keeping for myself and will get them framed as soon as I settle into my new house. It's a little 60's retro ranch thing so I think his drawings would feel right at home here. :)

      Delete
  9. Ernest was my uncle. I visited him a couple times as he was passing away in a hospital in Harlem while I was a student at Weill Cornell medical school. I think we have a few more of his sketches tucked away in some boxes. It pleases me to know that someone was able to find some of his work and is even having some of his sketches framed. Thanks for sharing this.

    Seth Kasunick

    ReplyDelete