Thursday, November 6

NATURE'S CANDY: Harvesting Pecans on the Hightower Farm

Last week I had the pleasure of visiting the Hightower Farm near Ralston, OK.  Mike's dad has a grove of pecan trees that are his hobby and passion.  I had the opportunity to see and learn from the master the process from harvesting to the fun part....eating.  Of course what I share here is after growing the root stock, grafting on the desired variety, growing for several years and fighting pests, disease, weather and crows.  A BIG thank you to the Hightower family!

Below are a few photos of the process and a short clip of the "tree shaker" in slow motion that Mike took.  Enjoy! 


I'm just sorry I can't share the eating part with you...sorta. 

This shakes them down.


This picks them up!

Our harvest prior to the final cleaning and shelling processes.
The video file of the shelling process was too large for the blog so here is a You Tube link.
The video is a little sideways wonky near the end..sorry about that.




Laid out to dry before we do the final cleaning process by hand!

A bag made it into my carry-on luggage for the trip home.  I'm trying to save some for Pecan Pie for Thanksgiving but it's REALLY hard! And, bonus, Mike's mom is sending me her recipe which we got to sample while there. Yay me!

Okay, okay...so I've eaten a few!!
So, if you find a local pecan farmer and he's selling shelled pecans for $4, $5, $6 a pound, or more, now you know why. Support him and buy them. They're soooooooooooooo much better than what you'll get at the grocery store, I promise. 

As always, thanks for stopping by! Comment if you LOVE pecans!

Jan

My ETSY shop - JypsyStudio    (sorry, no pecans)

No comments:

Post a Comment