Tuesday, January 28

Journey to Becoming a Surface Pattern Designer - Part 2

Last post I talked about what a Surface Pattern Designer(SPD) is and what they do. Let me restate that I am starting a whole new career journey in my 60s.  I'm proud of that and think there are many women out there in the same boat. Women who are looking for something new or are returning to an old love that life derailed somewhere back in time.  I wake up early every morning excited to work on this new career and wonder why I didn't start it sooner. 
My first piece of artwork. Circa 1971.

This week are my insights about what is needed to be successful as a SPD.  Now, this is coming from one who is starting out so this is my experience as of this moment. 

1) First and foremost, you must learn and master Adobe Illustrator(AI). You can do everything you need in AI and it is the "go-to" software program for surface pattern design.  Most companies you work with will request an AI file, so learn the tools you need to succeed.  If I can do it, so can you. (No cracks here about new tricks and old dogs!)

2) Some drawing or painting skills.  You don't have to be Picasso, but even simple motifs can make darling patterns. So, start drawing  every day.  The more you draw the better you get. Draw whatever you see and keep all of your sketches. You never know when they're going to come in handy.

As evidence of this I present a quick and simple sketch page I did for a pattern challenge a couple of weeks ago along with one pattern I created from them.  Nothing fancy or elaborate but oh so cute!  I turned one into wrapping paper and a cool insulated mug.  You can read about this in my blog post "10 Great Valentine's Day Gifts I Love From Society6" here.


Original drawing in ink. 

Valentine's Day Wrapping Paper

3) Once you learn how to make patterns make them often. Many, many patterns will help you start honing your signature style.  You learn from every pattern you make. Eventually you'll be able to look at a pattern and decide what's working and what's not and also begin to see your signature style. 

4) Find like minded souls. The current buzz word is "tribe" so we'll go with that.  Find your "tribe."  It is so helpful to learn from others, receive feedback, commiserate and get inspired by the work of others. Usually this is done through joining a free Facebook group. 


Even small original watercolor rosebuds can be turned into a beautiful pattern that will work on just about anything.

5) Create an online presence. You have to get your work out there. If nobody can find you, your work won't be seen. Now, this doesn't mean you have to be on every social media site, have a blog, a FB page and a website.  Start small and be strategic about it depending on what your end goals are.  My suggestion would be Facebook and a website only to start.

I do have an Instagram page simply because the format fits with visual arts and that's where the bulk of my tribe lives.  If you'd like to visit me there and see more examples of my work here is the link Jan.Partain



6) Create what we call your "elevator speech."  What can you say to someone who doesn't know anything about you in 2-3 sentences that explains what you do? This is your brand's identity.  What brand do you think of when I say "clean, shine and protect?" Armorall...right?  Same thing. (I thank my friend Catherine for that excellent example.) What do you want to be known for?


A simple, elegant pattern from a botanical tulip drawing. 


7) Tenacity is an important quality. This will not happen overnight and could take up to a year or more to actually see money coming in depending on how quickly you work. However, know that the work you put in now will result in benefits down the road. Think of it as laying the foundation for a house yet to be built. 

8) Be brave and develop a thick skin. Fear holds us back. It's scary to put your work out there for others to see, like, dislike, copy or whatever.  But if you're not out there you won't be seen by companies looking for fresh designers. I recommend reading Austin Kleon's "Show Your Work".  This applies for whatever your work may be. Perhaps you paint, or create container gardens or decorate or blacksmith or build custom furniture.  Whatever it is, get it out there. Online will enable you to reach so many more people than just those in your community. EVERYTHING is online these days. 

9) Develop a back-up plan.  Start thinking about how your business can survive if your physical presence gets removed from the equation. What if you break your leg, get laid off or a family member gets sick.  What is your back-up plan? 

10) Finally, have fun. If you're not having fun it's not worth it. And when you're having fun doing what you love you are your authentic self. That shines through to those who enjoy your work. 

So, that's my 10 things for now. Many I've done and many I'm still working on, but wanted to take you along on my journey as it's happening.  I've learned so much and will be sharing that in a future post.  

For now, a sneak peek at my sketch book pages as I learn about pattern design during the Arts & Crafts movement. More on these later!


The tudor rose. 


Pencil sketches waiting to be inked. 

   
I would love to know what your passion is, so please share below!

As always, thanks for stopping by.

Jan





No comments:

Post a Comment