Thursday, August 14

Keeping the brain active...thoughts from NIADA figurative artist Pat Lillich

The figurative art of Pat Lillich

I took a class yesterday with NIADA artist Pat Lillich.  She is a sculptor and makes these amazing pieces of figurative art with ball joints that move.  I've shared a photo of one of her art pieces, but they just don't do it justice.  And she said this is just a prototype, not even a finished piece. 


It took the class most of the day to just get a good overview of the process it takes (weeks, or months sometimes) to finish one of these.  But it was good learning and a foundation to start practicing....on a much smaller scale. 



On that note, Pat mentioned that as we get older it's always a good idea to keep our brain active.  Well, I knew that.  But, what was interesting was Pat said she read research that says the type of activity makes a difference. 


We need to keep it busy learning new things and challenging brains.  Doing the same old things over and over again doesn't keep it active enough.  New situations, new challenges and learning new things helps the brain create new brain cells.  Makes sense to me.  

I love taking classes (as you've probably guessed) and learning new things so perhaps that will not be an issue as I age.  In any case, whatever we can do to stave off those afflictions later in life that steal our brain away is a good thing in my book.


Hope you enjoy seeing Pat's amazing work and I think I have YEARS of new learning ahead of me just figuring out her process.  So, if it takes me 2 weeks to noodle out how to make an ankle joint work, my brain is healthier because of it.  I like that!

So, take a class, learn a new skill, take up bridge or learn how to rebuild your car engine. Whatever floats your boat, but keep that brain making new brain cells!


The gallery show is tonight for all the Niada artists. I will make sure and take photos and share with you later.  


As always, thanks for stopping by!


Jan


No comments:

Post a Comment