Tuesday, July 1

Digital vs. Analog: Alarm Clocks

Look at this cutie I found at an estate sale not long ago!  A vintage, Elgin travel alarm clock....working!!  It took a while to find two screws small enough to attach it back to the case but I finally found them at a model train store.  Go figure.



The alarm is fun and the case closes nicely and I love the ticking sound when I go to sleep. I miss that sound.  So far it keeps time well...as long as I wind it. (I'm testing to see how often that needs to be.) 


When did we start relying solely on electric or battery operated alarm clocks?  What if the power goes out? What if the battery dies on your phone?  

Of course there are down sides to this mode as well.  You have to wind it.  There is no "snooze" button.  When the alarm goes off you have to get up.  The alarm also has to be wound so when it winds down that's it.  




But, I love it anyway...and plan to use it on my nightstand.  I may even travel with it.  All this fun for $5.  If you have never visited an estate sale I encourage you to do so.  Never know what fun thing you'll find. 



Though I haven't quite figured out how to tell what time it is to set the clock...without referring to something digital.   Hmmmmmm....


No comments:

Post a Comment