Wednesday, July 16

Update on Col. Walter F. Layer

I promised an update on finding Col. Walter F. Layer's headstone at Arlington Cemetery when I got back.  I wanted to pay my respects to him and all our service members over the July 4th weekend.  


I visited Arlington Cemetery early on Saturday morning, July 5th.   I'm sorry to say that I could not get up to the actual stone.  In most areas they have it chained off so people can't go wandering around trampling all over the graves.  Understandable.  I did pass by his section though, let him know I stopped by and, while there, watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.


I've posted a few pics for your enjoyment. JFK, Confederate Memorial, Lee's former residence, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and a few great shots of the 622 acres. It's a beautiful place, free to get in and less than $2/hr to park.  Full of tons of history of our country and I highly recommend a visit if you can.   

JFK Gravesite...you could not speak in that area. 


Robert E Lee's Residence up until 1861 I believe. 

View of Washington from Lee's residence.

Changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. 

Tomb of the unknown solder from a different angle.


Generic shot of the cemetery. 

Confederate Memorial

Again I say, thank you Col. Layer for your service to this country. 

As always, thank you for stopping by!
Jan


2 comments:

  1. Jan - thanks for posting these terrific pictures, and your update on Col. Layer. I can't believe I grew up in Virginia and never went to Arlington. Shame on me! I thought of you this weekend. Was at Scott's Flea Market and saw about a bajillion yellow-ware bowls. The next time you are in Atlanta, let me know and we will indulge ourselves in a lot of old, dusty stuff!!
    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Beth. I hope to one day connect with Col. Layer's family about the camera, but no luck yet. Jan

      Delete