Monday, July 7

Online Art Classes

I am taking my first online PAID class.  I resisted for a long time because I always thought it best to take these types of "hands-on" classes in person.  But, seldom are they in your town and so that can get pretty expensive.  Then I reminded myself that I watch endless "how to" videos on YouTube...so why not.   So, this is my trial and I will let you know how it goes. 

The class is Lynn Whipple's "Joy of Collage" through Carla Sonheim.  It is 6 video lessons over a two week period.  The first video was only about 10 minutes long.  However, the plus side is that Lynn is interactive on the class blog, you can ask her questions and you can post photos of your work and get feedback from her and the other participants.  And, we have forever access to the videos if we ever want to re-watch them.  There are about 150 of us in the class I think. 


We are learning her style of collage utilizing vintage photos.  The photo below is of some of my cabinet cards.  I did not use originals for this as I have in some of my other work.  The size was wrong so I made enlarged color copies at Staples to use. (Which means I can reuse these as I wish.)


Vintage Cabinet Card Photos

The big question with any class you take like this (to me) is always....how do I incorporate this technique, or look, that made me take the class but make it look all my own?  I don't want someone to look at my work and think "Oh, that's a Lynn Whipple style."(Not that they would.)  And I'm sure she doesn't either.  Maybe that's a question I'll pose to the group. 


The first video was very good and full of good tips and permission to play.  Lynn is fun, witty, silly and bubbly, and her work is so cute with a very quirky sense of humor.  If you don't know her, just look her up on Pinterest. Her blog link is listed down on the right under "Favorite Blogs" and here is her website. Lynn Whipple


The photo below is of my two canvases after the first layer.  We get the second class on Wednesday for next steps.  I don't wait well! 
First Layer of Collage


As always, thanks for stopping by!

Jan

Jypsy Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment