Wednesday, June 18

"Creating Art at the Speed of Life" Lesson 4: Monochromatic Colors

Lesson #4 in Pam's new book is on monochromatic colors.  We used black and white images to build a character head and then painted the entire thing with shades of one color. (Next time I need to use a color that darkens more easily.  It's hard to darken yellow without it turning green.)  In any case, I really like the figure. Next time I will draw a face of my own. 

Lesson #4

Since Lesson 3 was Analogous colors and Lesson 4 is Monochromatic colors I thought I'd pull out a project I did last year with a sunflower using these same concepts.  Analogous colors are on the right.....monochromatic color on the left. I used yellow again but also used white and black to get a full range.  Now you see what I mean about yellow and black making green.  Good to remember for the future when I need a nice green.   

I can't decide which one I like better!  I like them both really...maybe less is more.

So, the next time you're considering a project with color consider a monochromatic scheme or an analogous scheme to create a cohesive look. 


Left: Monochromatic   Right: Analogous

That's it for now...back to the studio!  As always, thanks for stopping by and please leave comments & suggestions below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment